Friday, December 7, 2012

Happy St. Nicholas Day a day late

St. Nicholas is a favorite of many in the early part of the Advent season.  Many legends and traditions have grown up around this saint.  In my home while growing up St. Nicholas would appear on the evening of December 6 and bring us fruit, nuts and candy.  It was always an exciting day.

When I was in seminary there were a number of Byzantine rite students living at the North American College.  St. Nicholas Day was always a special celebration.  Those of us willing to attend Divine Liturgy were also invited to the grand dinner afterward.  At the dinner there was a special song we sang to St. Nicholas.  I have the words around somewhere but even when I can't find them I hum it as part of my own personal celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment